modusa

White Apples
Jonathan Carroll
Tarzan of the Apes
Michael Meyer, Gore Vidal, Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Dead of Night: The Ghost Stories of Oliver Onions (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural)
Oliver Onions
Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
The Land of Laughs
Jonathan Carroll
Voyage Along the Horizon
Javier MarĂ­as, Kristina Cordero
Palm-of-the-Hand Stories
J. Martin Holman, Lane Dunlop, Yasunari Kawabata
The Bell - Iris Murdoch whenever i pick up an iris murdoch novel, it seems initially that i am embarking on a tale with conventional romance trappings, and then, very quickly, there is a moment of unease, and i begin to understand that she has lured me away from the safe harbour where her story begins, and that the universe her characters inhabit might be familiar to me but that i am not conversant with its rules. the bell was no exception: at first it seemed that the primary story would be that of dora, the desultory wife who marries paul as half-heartedly as she leaves, and then reunites with him. eventually her narrative gives way, to the voice of michael, and of toby. nobody ever does what i'd expect them to, and the novel makes me one think very hard about the ideas and motivations that preoccupy the book: thoughts about love, sexuality, spirituality, and constancy fan out, and by the end dora has come back to lead us away and out of the tumult. i found this to be a compulsive read, and a valuable one. i must thank adrian for directing me to it. :)